Episode 09 – Batavia Bound and Down
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 4:10:51 — 229.7MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | Blubrry | Podchaser | Podcast Index | Deezer | RSS
We break from the mold a bit this month and feature 3 special guests along with a whole bevy of pinball talk and arcade game updates. Brent and I go on a road trip to attend a Python Anghelo tribute party where we play all kinds of classic, modern and A-list pinball titles at the home of Phoebe and Larry Smith. I buy shaker motors and we watch some masters at the silverball totally own Attack From Mars.
We put local collector Steve Ridge and his son Michael in front of the microphone and talk about their involvement in the hobby (as well as them also attending Phoebe’s party) and we then have a very special interview segment with Luke Dyson.
Fellow arcade collectors probably know Luke as ‘Tronic’ on the KLOV forums where he has been the driving force behind the reproduction Atari Quantum PCB’s and is now working on reproducing Major Havoc’s PCB, as well. If you’ve ever wanted to know what goes on behind the scenes to reverse engineer a PCB and then make a working copy, then you’ll definitely want to hear this interview.
Add in some gameroom updates, current Pinball and arcade news, reproduction parts updates and more outtakes than you can shake an Atari cabinet at, and you’ve got episode 09 of the podcast!
Here’s how this month’s episode breaks down:
Show Segment Layout
- Intro Discussion and Interview with Steve Ridge and his son Michael
- Updates & What we’ve been working on
- (70:40 – 1 hour, 10 minutes) – Restoration Corner
- (111:00 – 1 hour, 50 minutes) – Current events, news and listener feedback
- (151:40 – 2 hours, 31 minutes) – Interview with Luke Dyson
- (233:15 – 3 hours, 53 minutes) – Show wrap-up, community outreach and announcements
Show Segment Details
Show Discussion & Interview with Steve & Michael Ridge
Join local collector Steve Ridge and his 12-year old son Michael as they sit in and talk collecting, game hauling and playing pinball with Brent and I.
We also review the Python Anghelo tribute party that we attended at Phoebe (and Larry) Smith’s house over the weekend of 5/10/2014 and discuss all the fantastic pinball machines there was there to play. Take a look at the photo album below, as it gives a really good pictorial walk-through of their collection. A++ all the way is about the only way I know to sum it up!
- Pinball Construction kit Bally: http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_pck.html
- Bally -17 games : http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mpu=13&searchtype=advanced
- Bally -35 games : http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mpu=18&searchtype=advanced
- Major Havoc conversion panels from Takeman
- Roller controller is available at Arcadeshop. If anyone is interested in doing this type of project, you should look at buying your controller sooner rather than later as the stock is from RAM controls; likely will not be re-run.
- Update on existing projects
- Monitor Test-pattern Generator
- KLOV member CraftyMech – Pofile link to send him a PM on KLOV – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/member.php?u=58527
- Boards are finished and units are now shipping out
- NERDTendo video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtsxMcl32B0
- KLOV member “Buffett” is making both Sanyo and WG cables – Profile link to send him a PM on KLOV – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/member.php?u=45716
- Monitor Test-pattern Generator
- Williams ROM board to IDE connectors
- New Projects
- Williams classic arcade cabinet speaker grills – Joust, Robotron, Sinistar, Defender, Bubbles, Varkon, Moon Patrol, etc.
- High-QualityPowdercoated reproductions @ $40 per panel.
- FS thread on CoinOpSpace – http://www.coinopspace.com/forum/topics/fs-williams-classic-arcade-cabinet-speaker-grills-joust-robotron
- FS thread on KLOV – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=303457
- Potential re-run of the Nintendo coin doors from Takeman on KLOV – Please jump in on the interest thread if you are wanting one or more “PERFECT” reproduction Nintendo coin doors – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?p=2783399
- Mappy marquee update – looks like this might happen at this point – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=284889
Current events, news and listener feedback
- Pinball Zombies From Beyond the Grave via Coast2Coast pinball @ the Midwest Gaming Classic
- New podcast review – NoQuarter- http://monsterfeet.com/noquarter
- Hosted by Mike Maginnis and Carrington Vanston.
- Stern and Planetary Pinball enter manufacturing agreement to reproduce Medieval Madness – http://www.sternpinball.com/community/planetary-pinball-chicago-gaming-and-stern-pinball-announce-specialty-manufactur
Interview with Luke Dyson
This interview is a real treat. KLOV’er Luke Dyson (Tronic) is the driving force behind reverse engineering both the Atari Quantum and the Atari Major Havoc PCB and he has successfully reproduced Quantum (in two batches, no less) and is now working on making a Major Havoc reproduction PCB a reality. LIsten in as Luke talks about the work required to reproduce a PCB – from start to finish – and what he had to do to make Quantum a reality and where he stands on the Major Havoc project. Lots and lots of great info here. Thanks Luke!
Show wrap-up, community outreach and announcements
- On The Road
- May 17th @ “The Place” Retro Arcade in Cincinnati, OH – check back here for link to podcast download!
- Upcoming Shows and Events
- Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo – http://ww.southernfriedgameroomexpo.com
- June 20th – June 22nd, 2014 @ Atlanta Marriott Century Center
- California Extreme – http://www.caextreme.org/
- July 12-13, 2014
- Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
- Classic Gaming Expo – http://www.cgexpo.com/
- September 12th to 14th, 2014
- Rivera Hotel & Casino, Las Vegas, NV
- Podcast hosts from RetroGamingRoundup are involved – great podcast, so be sure to check them out!
- Free-Play Florida – http://www.arcade-museum.com/events.php#sthash.GyC78xTv.dpuf
- November 21-23, 2014 Orlando, Florida
- Florida’s biggest Arcade, Pinball & Console Show, at the Doubletree Hilton
- located close to Seaworld, with 20,000sq ft and literally hundreds of machines from the latest Arcade, Pinballs to the Classics, PAPA Tournament, Arcade Tournament, Console Event, Cash Prizes, Panels.
As always, we really appreciate everyone listening to the show! If you have any questions, feel free to email the show at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a voice-mail at 470-2CALLBT (470-222-5528)
If you enjoy what you hear, then please consider leaving us a rating on our iTunes page and our Stitcher Radio page.
Ratings help us to promote the show and get it front of more people, so we thank you for any help you can provide!
2 thoughts on “Episode 09 – Batavia Bound and Down”
Great episode again guys. Very interesting conversation with Luke. I wanted to let Brent know that I have an Android phone and I’ve used PocketCasts for a few years now. I really like it.
By the way, thanks for the heads up on that new podcast. Now I have several more hours of back catalog to listen to. My wife will be thrilled!
Thanks for the good word, Jeff!
I thought the interview with Luke was really interesting as well. It was really compelling and opened up a view to an aspect of the hobby that many of us will likely only experience by playing a finished reproduction game… let alone putting together an empty PCB, etc. 🙂
I’ll let Brent know about the podcatcher recommendation, as well.
You’ll like NoQuarter. It’s good, quality content.
Thanks again for taking the time to comment and for listening to the show!