These are always hard to read (and hard to write).
That being said, we do take this seriously and want you to know where we stand on the subjects of how we administer the site, and what we do with the information that you give us.
Always feel free to contact us if you have any questions or want clarification on anything below. We’ve tried to make this as concise and relevant to the site’s content as possible.
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, fill out a form or leave a comment.
When registering on our site, or purchasing a product (as deemed necessary to complete said process) you may be asked to enter your name or e-mail address or other personally-identifiable information.
You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one (or more) of the following ways:
- To enable necessary communications to maintain site interactivity and functionality
The email address provided when registering on the site or participating in a comment thread may be used to send notifications, respond to contact inquiries, and/or other requests or questions submitted via the site.Generally speaking, this would really only be enacted as an automated e-mail that the site would send you to notify you of a new comment in a post/thread you are participating in, a moderation notice, or a personal message from me welcoming you to the site or thanking you for your contribution, or in the form of an answer to a direct question.
Participant e-mail addresses are never displayed publicly and are maintained within the site itself and only the administrators have access to this information and then it is only used as described above.
- To personalize your experience
Your information helps us to create better overall website interaction with you on each visit.
- To improve our website
We value your feedback and anything you have to say about the site is taken seriously. We may contact you back to further such a discussion.
- To improve customer service
Your information helps us to more effectively respond to any request that you make of us.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature
How do we protect your information?
We implement industry-accepted security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information. All authenticated access to the site is protected by industry-standard 128-bit SSL. This site runs on secured, dedicated hardware in an enterprise-class datacenter with controlled physical access. All site information is backed up daily and transferred offsite with the intent of data protection and site resiliency.
Yes. Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information in order to create a personalized and unique experience.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information.
This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential.
We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Terms of Service & Use
These terms of service exist solely to document any rules governing the use (and participation of) the website. I want this to be simple to understand and to promote an environment that is fun, lively and inviting to all. The main goal of this website is to document parts of the retro arcade and pinball collecting and restoration hobby and to disseminate information. We can only bring people into the hobby and make them feel welcome by setting a good example and making information open and accessible and by telling the history and news of both the games and the people involved.
Given the type of information that this site collects and presents, I feel that these are more than fair:
Copyright and ownership of site content
I think this should be pretty obvious, but it needs to be stated here for completeness’ sake. Brokentoken.com has copyrighted ownership of all content within the website –with the sole exception being linked or included content that is already the copyrighted property of the copyright holder (logos, credited photos, credited content, etc.).
There is to be no content from this site reproduced or republished without the expressed written consent or permission.
- Any information submitted to the site (via the contact form, comment participation, direct messages, e-mail threads/responses, photos, etc.) or to me (directly or indirectly) become the sole property of Brokentoken.com.Any such information (unsolicited or otherwise) is held in strict confidence between Brokentoken.com and the submitter.Brokentoken.com does reserve the right to use such submitted information to further the cause of research and/or documentation of site-related materials that are relevant to the submission and/or the arcade collecting community at large, and will – at our discretion – use such materials on the site as Brokentoken.com sees fit.Due credit will be given on such submissions if they are used in a published post or to help secure information for such a post.
- If you post hateful, foul or otherwise offensive comments, I reserve the right to delete said comments outright and permanently ban you from the site.This is a very fun hobby with lots of neat people in it and there is so much to share and learn that no one – including me or the readers of this site – need the drama that such actions support. I have no problems whatsoever with disagreements or passionate discussions – everyone can learn from such; it is when they cross the line (and we all can feel where the ‘line’ is) that it becomes a problem and a detractor to the hobby as a whole.Base your arguments on facts and respect one another.
- Moderators/Admins of the site (whether it be me or someone appointed by me) reserve the right to delete comments outright, and at our discretion.This is not done with the intent of censoring anyone or anything, but rather to protect the privacy of those who have requested or expect such privacy.Other collectors/operators may not want their private information aired to the world-at-large by someone else – especially without their knowledge or consent. Many people in this hobby might not immediately want to put all of their information on the Internet for everyone to see, so this has to be respected.
Many collectors and operators may even shy away from such interaction due to the amount of work that it takes to research, find, broker and obtain some games, so if they request, require or expect privacy, they get it.
- I will not change the contents of comments. What you say is what you say and I respect that as long as such comments fall within these “Terms of Service”. Just please think twice before you submit a comment and invest in a good spell-checker. It makes us all look smarter.
Site Availability & Access to Information
- Every effort is made to keep the site online and available to the world 24×7. I do take great pains to vet upgrades (themes, plug-in, settings changes, etc.) in a test environment that mirrors the production site, but unforeseen issues can arise.As such, there is no guarantee of site availability during any given time of the day or on any given day of the week. In a perfect world, the site would always be available and there would never be problems. Since I maintain the entire setup by myself, and I sometimes make mistakes, I can make no promises outside of my best efforts.
- I will not ‘delete’ content from the site. I feel that this hobby documents a real and valuable part of ‘Americana’… so much so, that we need more sites like this and people in this hobby. That being said, once the information goes away, so does the ability to easily obtain, maintain and restore these games so that they outlive us all and can be passed down to a new generation. In that vein, I may move information on the site around in the spirit of making it easier to find or to organize it differently, but I will not remove site content entirely.
All of this being said, I want to thank you for visiting and I hope that you will find the site entertaining, useful and interesting and that it provides you many reasons for return visits.