Brent and I are back at the mic this month with our final thoughts on the 2014 Louisville Arcade Expo and look toward the upcoming restoration (…refurbishment) season, events and shows that we’ll be attending as well as discussing a few firsts for the show.
Not only do we wrap up a few discussions on some of our current projects, but we introduce a show first – Whitney spends a good bit of time rummaging through Brent’s garage and picks out four machines as candidates and we’re going to let everyone weigh in via poll as you – our listeners – decide what will be Brent’s next project!
We also go heads-first into the latest in arcade restoration project news, Brent talks PCB acid damage repair and we have Kevin Kulek (from Skit-B Pinball) on the show as we present the panel discussion/interview we did with him at the 2014 Louisville Arcade Expo.
Add on to this our first voicemail callers, Whitney botching his words and Brent chopping up Varkons to make into a chair, and you’ve got what we affectionately call “Episode 08” of the podcast!
Or just “ChairKon” for short… yeah… that’ll work just as good.
Here’s how this episode breaks down:
Show Segment Layout
- Intro Discussion and Show Agenda
- Updates & What we’ve been working on
- (47:00) Our first “Listener Restoration Poll” – Vote on Brent’s next restoration project!
- (64:46 – 1 hour, 4 minutes) – Restoration Corner
- (96:00 – 1 hour, 36 minutes) – Deep Dive
- (139:00 – 2 hours, 19 minutes) – Listener voice mails
- (147:52 – 2 hours, 27 minutes) – Panel discussion/Interview with Kevin Kulek from Skit-B Pinball
- (185:30 – 3 hours, 5 minutes) – Show wrap-up, community outreach and announcements
Show Segment Details
Updates & what we’ve been working on
We put the bow on the Louisville Arcade Expo, Brent closes the book on the Roller Disco and I offer some closing thoughts on Project FlipFlop. We both talk about our next projects – well I do, anyways. Brent’s not so lucky because his is going to be picked for him – BY YOU!
You can vote now here on the site, send us a tweet (@brokentoken), post up on our Facebook page or leave us a voicemail… pretty much anything you want to do to pick one of the four games. We’ll close the poll down three weeks from now (Friday, May 16th) and announce the winner and then Brent will get busy and will do a total re-work on the selected game and we’ll document it for the podcast and on our Facebook page!
We discuss new arcade reproduction projects that debuted this month. KLOV has some amazing vendors reproducing parts that are essentially unobtainable anywhere else. Please consider supporting these vendors so that we can continue to get replacement parts for our machines!
- Rally-X bezels and marquees – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=261384
- We have enough interest for the bezels – need a couple more for the marquees!
- Robotron bezels – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=295499
- Major Havoc conversion panels from Takeman – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=293666. The roller controller is available at Arcadeshop. If anyone is interested in doing this type of project, you should look at buying your controller sooner rather than later as the stock is from RAM controls; likely will not be re-run.
- Reproduction Atari power bricks – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=299730
- Monitor Test Pattern generator – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=297247
- Reproduction Taito marquee and bezel brackets – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=307089
- Williams classic arcade cabinet speaker grills – Joust, Robotron, Sinistar, Defender, Bubbles, Varkon, Moon Patrol, etc. – http://www.coinopspace.com/forum/topics/fs-williams-classic-arcade-cabinet-speaker-grills-joust-robotron
- Potential re-run of Nintendo coin doors – interest thread – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=309047
- Mappy Marquees – potential run later this year – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=284889
Brent delves into the topic of corrosion repair on PCB’s. He delves into trace repair and methods of how battery corrosion and acid damage removal.
Show wrap-up, community outreach and announcements
Brent and I will be on-location on Saturday, May 17th, 2014 at “The Place, Retro Arcade” where we’ll be live-streaming from 6:00 PM – ??. In addition to talking to Cary Chaney about his family-run arcade, we’ve got a very special roster of guests for the show:
You won’t want to miss it – we’ll be live-streaming the show at www.mixlr.com/brokentoken and if all goes well, we’ll have chat up to boot! Don’t worry, as we’ll also publish video for the show following the broadcast, too! More details to follow!
Barry Oursler – http://www.gofundme.com/6fgkt0
Python Anghelo – http://www.gofundme.com/HelpPython
Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo
- June 20th – June 22nd, 2014 @ Atlanta Marriott Century Center
Brent and I will be attending this event, and will be speakers during a panel discussion on Sunday the 22nd. More information to come!
- July 12-13 2014 @ the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
As always, we really appreciate everyone listening to the show! If you have any questions, feel free to email the show at email@example.com or leave us a voice-mail at 470-2CALLBT (470-222-5528)
If you enjoy what you hear, then please consider leaving us a rating on our iTunes page – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/brokentoken-classic-arcade/id706679888 and our Stitcher Radio page – http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/brokentoken-classic-arcade-pinball-podcast.
Ratings help us to promote the show and get it front of more people, so we thank you for any help you can provide!