Brent and I venture into some new ground with the 6-month anniversary episode and respond to some listener requests by hosting the first of a series of editorial segments on ‘what is retro’ and ‘restored vs. refurbished vs. reproduction’ and discuss the merits of each and where we feel each topic has relevance in collecting and preserving our beloved games.
We also do some more in-depth coverage on what will be our first ‘podcast appearance’ with our booth at the Louisville Arcade Expo. We have lots of discussion around that topic as Brent and I will be hosting several panel discussions, doing some live streaming and recording some live interviews as well. We will also be taking up a collection for the GoFundMe drives for Barry Oursler and Python Anghelo.
We also spend some time talking about current project progress, artwork and parts reproduction parts coming available this month and anything else that we can cram in between segments!
Curious about the show title? We pimp Time Pilot no less than 20 times this month (in a number of points through the episode), so we only felt it proper to give back a little respect.
Show Segment Layout
- Intro Discussion & Show Agenda
- (15:00 ) – Updates & what we’ve been working on
- (86:20 – 1 hour, 26 minutes) Editorial – what is retro? Restored vs. Refurbished vs. Replacement (Restoration Corner is mixed in here this month)
- (161:20 – 2 hours, 41 minutes) – Closing comments & Announcements
Show Segment Details
Updates & What we’ve been working on
- Roller Disco restoration progress
- Ni-Wumpf Systems
- Specifically the “new” system 1 CPU
- Crafty Mech
- Monitor test pattern generator thread on KLOV
- Real Deal Steel
- Camaro Bodies
- Discuss “Project Flip Flop”
- DK3 Current Status
- Coin mech replacements and working with Asahi Seiko
- Backup PCB’s acquired
- Time Pilot
- Upcoming website improvements
- Discuss “Project Flip Flop”
What’s Retro to you? What do you prefer – Restored, Refurbed or Reproduction?
These are questions that have as many answers as they do people asking; this month, we cover what we feel to be our stance on these subjects.
Are our viewpoints controversial? Maybe.
Are they absolute? Not by a long shot.
Is it fun? You bet!
Thanks go out to our listeners for suggesting this editorial segment. We had a blast with it and we’re sure that will come through in the discussion.
We discuss new arcade reproduction projects that debuted this month. KLOV has some amazing vendors reproducing parts that are essentially unobtainable anywhere else. Please consider supporting these vendors so that we can continue to get replacement parts for our machines!
- Rally-X bezels and marquees – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=261384
- Targeting a March 2014 timeframe for pre-order
- Robotron bezels – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=295499
- Still working on getting 40 people to commit to the pre-order; currently at 29 paid and we need 11 more – please consider jumping in!
- New projects
- Reproduction Atari power bricks – http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=299730
Closing Comments & Announcements
We wrap the show this month with some closing discussion around what we opened the show with, and that’s our appearance at the Louisville Arcade Expo and all the events related to the upcoming show. We would love for all of our listeners who will be at the show to stop by and say ‘Hi!’ and please consider any donations possible to help out Barry and Python!
Upcoming Shows & Events
- Louisville Arcade Expo
- March 7-9 2014 @ the Ramada Plaza Louisville, KY
- Brent and I will have a table at the show – come by and see us!
- CAGDC Classic Arcade Tournament @ Logan Hardware in Chicago, IL
- Friday 3/28/2014 – Sunday 3/30/2014
- Registration link – http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/contests/CAGDCT2014/#paypal
- Venue: Logan Hardware in Chicago, IL – www.logan-hardware.com
- Texas Pinball Festival
- March 28th-30th 2014 @ the Embassy Suites Dallas – Frisco Hotel and Convention Center in Frisco, TX.
- Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo
- June 20th – June 22nd, 2014 @ Atlanta Marriott Century Center
As always, we really appreciate everyone listening to the show! If you have any questions, feel free to email the show at ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ or leave us a voice-mail at 502-517-7199!
If you enjoy what you hear, then please consider leaving us a rating on our iTunes page – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/brokentoken-classic-arcade/id706679888 and our Stitcher Radio page – http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/brokentoken-classic-arcade-pinball-podcast.
Ratings help us to promote the show and get it front of more people, so we thank you for any help you can provide!